Jesus once again addressed them: "I am the world's Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in."

Monday, August 9, 2010

Four Letter Word....PRAY


Praying has always intimidated me. Especially in front of others. How do they know how to speak so eloquently and how do they know what to say?
I am learning that the more I know God, and the more I utilize the Holy Spirit that is indwelling in me, the words will come to me when I am praying for others, and in front of others. I am allowing myself to be uncomfortable so praying will become more comfortable for me.
As for my personal time and prayers, depending on my mood, and lately there have been many in one day, I just simply talk to God. And to be quite honest, I will not disclose EVERYTHING I have said because it hasn't always been pretty. Once again, I will thank God for mercy and grace.
What I will disclose is some things I learned about praying through reading, conferences, or other Christian women. And that is the acronym for PRAY.
Praise. Repent. Ask. Yield.
Praise. Before saying anything, we should thank God for what He has given us. From the beautiful sky on the way to Church, to what He is doing in our lives, we should express gratitude. Give Him thanks.
Repent. First, ask God to forgive us for our sins. And we can't just say, "Please God forgive me for thinking that woman is completely wretched and a waste of space." We need to get out of that habit. So then, we need to find Scriptures that speak to us about the sin we are committing and why it contradicts with what God wants us to do. And remember our behaviors are a reflection of our thoughts. And then lastly, forgive yourself and allow yourself to move on.
Ask. After we have given thanks to God and have repented of our sins, we can then intercede for others and for their needs. Ask God for the desires of your heart.
Yield. Listen to God and do what He tells us to do. Obey. Expect God to give guidance as we would expect a loving parent to guide us. God wants to give us the healthy directions and food for our soul. We have to be willing to listen and do what He says.
Enjoy purposeful prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a story about a prayer being answered? Do you have a prayer request?

    ReplyDelete