Jesus once again addressed them: "I am the world's Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in."

Sunday, August 1, 2010

What is your opinion? Do you consider this a scam? Read on to see if we got a callback!!




Yesterday Kayleigh and I, along with my Momma, went to the Hyatt in Dallas to audition Kayleigh for commercials or modeling.

We did not have ANY expectations, as we went to have fun, and to see what they would say, or how far she could really go. We were aware that the audition may not have been a "scam", but they would probably try to sell us something. We heard about Actors, Models, and Talent for Christ (AMTC) through 94.9 KLTY. They advertised AMTC auditions, which you had to register online in order to get into the audition.

When we arrived at the hotel, registration was set up and they took a picture of Kayleigh I had blown up, and they raved about her looks, eyes, and personality. AMTC has a pleasant staff that was ready to answer any questions and make you feel at ease.

When we first got to the audition, we were given a speech by Carey Lewis Arban, and were shown videos of success stories of AMTC graduates. Recent graduates were also present to tell us about how fabulous their time at AMTC was, while not everyone received a callback, some did, while one was able to get on "Brothers and Sisters". So, I decided to audition my voice. Yes, I can sing. :) Overall the speech was persuasive and seemed genuine. Why wouldn't it be genuine? Isn't this a company that strives and thrives on Biblical principles? After all their motto is "Pursue the Dream God Provides". Hmmm...well this is where we realize, this isn't an agency, it is a modeling/acting/talent SCHOOL. And the cost.......$3,995.

So, we decided to go ahead and audition. Why not? We drove all the way out here. Maybe "God is opening doors" as Ms. Carey Arban seems to truly believe. We also got to cut in line because of Kayleigh's age. She auditions by reading a script, which she only practiced three times and of course she aced it. You all know her facial expressions. Due to the inability to bring cameras or videos in the audition, I will post a replica of what she did. She also had to walk on a small stage and she walked it for sure!! The coach who auditioned her exclaimed that she was precious. It made my week!! I will video her doing the same walk at a later blog.

It was then my turn for auditioning my voice. I wait in line, even though I could have cut because of Kayleigh, because I really wanted to talk to other people auditioning, staff members, and current AMTC graduates. Out of the three graduates I talked to, no one got a callback.

And one girl was thinking of spending more money to go again. And with tears in her eyes she was almost trying to convince herself that it would be a good thing. She admits she had an amazing time, which I am sure it was, however you could tell she was wrestling with her dream due to finances. She did, however, get a scholarship to New York, but she can't go just yet. So, the teacher in me, goes into education mode, in which I softly, yes softly, remind her that she might want to go to school while she is waiting for her callbacks.

Some of the staff members mistakenly thought I was auditioning for modeling or acting, which I just smiled and said thank you. One staff member said she had to go through the AMTC school and convention, which remember, cost $3,995, to even be able to WORK for the company. She says she has been asked to model. She has been on a TV show, however she did not get paid for it. She confidently states that Kayleigh will definitely get a callback from AMTC to be enrolled int the school, and I should talk to Ms. Carey Arban about payment arrangements.

So I audition and tell Ms. Carey Arban about my job as a teacher, my love for my daughter, and I eventually sing, "When I look at you" by Miley Cyrus. Yes, by Miley. It is a song that reminds me of Kayleigh and we sing it together, so there! She tells me to walk because she wants to see my posture. She asks me to read a script. Whooopsie. I hadn't memorized one so I read it as if I were reading it to my class. She says I have good bone structure and she can tell I take care of myself, so I am the full package. I was a bit overwhelmed as I just wanted to see if I could get through an audition. Now, keep in mind, if you know me, I am assertive in wanting to KNOW the truth and in TELLING the truth. She tells me I had a STRONG audition! Well that's great but what does that mean?

Well for Kayleigh and I both, we were given a brochure of what would be included in the "AMTC Package" and IF and only IF we were given a callback the next day, we would then REGISTER with a $500 deposit EACH to save a spot for the AMTC convention and training. I politely tell Ms. Carey Arban that I will not have the money by tomorrow and really don't want to waste any one's time. Period. And the other woman in the room reminds me things will happen in God's timing and then gently sends us on our way...

So last night, I wrestled with this dilemma. As I really believe God opens doors and opportunities, I also believe we have to be practical about it. I researched AMTC and they have an A+ report through BBB, however, how can they not? They don't promise you anything. If you make it to an agency and get signed, it is a "God incident", and if you don't, it is not in HIS timing. How can you really argue with that?

Now on a personal note. I really do believe God wants me to sing and He has told me so. I believe He as a plan for my life right now that I cannot even fathom. I also believe each and every one of us possess talents that God wants us to use, not only to glorify Him, but also to reach others through our talents. And unfortunately I have been ignoring that part of my life out of fear or, distractions.

Lately, I have been scuffling with faith and sometimes it hasn't been very pretty when I am in physical or mental anguish, and I am ashamed to mention the anger I have had towards God for EVERYTHING coming down on me at once. Lately, I have needed more signs then normal as I am immature in my faith sometimes and need more proof. And though I don't deserve it AT ALL, he shows me through people, articles, Scripture, daily devotional emails, or my Beth Moore Jesus Log.

DON'T LOSE ME HERE. This is an example of my proof. So last night, I talked with someone in the modeling industry and she gave me great advice. Momma gave me an article with the theme, "Having faith during trials and tribulations is more influential then having faith when all is going well. It is easy to talk about faith when all is well but it is perseverance when all is conflicted." My daily Jesus Log, day 12, asks the following questions, "When was the last time you received an answer from the Lord that seemed this FAR above your ability to understand it? What do you do with answers from His Word that either seem not to make sense or seem impossible to emulate? Then my prayer log reminds me to "not be allured by the light of any other false attraction"....My Christian Women daily email this morning was about Gideon needing proof from God in battle and the main point was, "God picks people to lead who can't see why they were picked at the start." And finally, Church today was about building our character by reinventing our legacy by seeking God, reading Scripture, and surrounding ourselves with godly people.

So, ummmm, do you think God is trying to tell me something? Do you think He could really be talking to me? I would think so. No. I know so.

13 comments:

  1. I'm searching for this answer myself, as our daughter auditioned for them a couple days ago, but the whole thing felt like one of those time share sales presentations, I have serious doubts. I see this is 2 years in the past for you... So, if you don't mind, what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you join ATMC? Did you go through the program? I'm left confused. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading! It has been a long time since I have written on this site. :) We chose not to go with the company, because it was more of a gateway to the acting school that would have cost thousands a year. And living on a teacher's income, that was not in my budget. I was told that an agency should pay you, and not the other way around. But than again, my daughter did not have any experience and the classes may have helped. Who knows? We will soon be finding acting classes locally and will probably allow my daughter to pursue acting through our local church for fun. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Troy, it did feel like a time share situation. I was excited at first. I did the research and seen the price of their program but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. But after listening and going with my gut feeling, it was not right. All of this in the name of God. It's all about them making money, I am a sales person myself and I recognize the urgency, the same urgency and benefits that was taught to me when I first got into sales. Play with peoples minds and emotions and using God to make it feel like it's legitimate. I wasted over 4hrs there at that convention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm appreciative of all of your comments. I was considering taking my five year old daughter to one of the auditions. (I've been hearing about the organization on 104.7 The Fish). However, I'm now convinced that we'll just be wasting our time. I also don't to raise my daughter's hopes for nothing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's clearly a racket to cash-in on gullible rubes. What does Actors, Musicians, and Talent for Christ even mean? It's clearly a marketing scheme aimed at taking advantage of a naïve community. Think of the largest Christian recording artists. They're not signed to AMTC, they sign with Sony BMG, or RCA, or Atlantic. They did not pay an agency a dime before these contracts were executed. I'm an entertainment lawyer. Real talent representation pays on commission. If an agency does not get you a gig, you do not pay. Period. Any other arrangement is exploitative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMTC is NOT a talent agency. Its a non profit, faith based educational program. My 19 year old daughter is in the dance program and yes it is expensive for us, but not as expensive as going to a performing arts school or college. She pays a monthly tuition which goes towards her training. They are training her in dance, acting, modeling, and interviewing. She has been going through intense weekend training almost every month as well as following an on line curriculum. She has full access to coaching and mentoring through social network. She fundraises and she works to cover the tuition. Who doesn't do that for college, or sports programs or competitions. Her dancing school monthly payment was much more! The tuition also covers her photo shoot and hundreds of photos that she will own for her portfolio. She has made amazing connections and learned so much more than she has ever been taught in her 16 years of dance. She has not attended the SHINE convention yet. But who can argue about being exposed to and perform in front of almost 100 scouts, agencies, producers, managers and casting directors, all in one room! If nothing else my daughter is also being shown modesty, dignity and humility. Those are values and morals that she sees at home and unfortunately does not see in the entertaiment field. I was reluctant to allowing her to persue her entertainment career, due to the darkness out there. But i am secure in knowing AMTC is following God's word and they have shown her that there is light and she can use her talents to serve God and to serve others without over exposure. (if you know what I mean) AMTC does not push you to succeed to make money. Its not "take what you can get" They encourage you, PRAY FOR YOU and tell you its ok to say "No". They work from the inside out. They say, your talent is a minor part of who you are. They want you to SHINE! Its not all about looks. The training teaches you so much more than working on your talent and making it big in the industry. They want you to succeed in using the talent God gave you, but in God's perspective. Its a tough business and rejection is part of it. AMTC teaches that its not the end of the line. But when God closes one door, he opens another. Once my daughter graduates from AMTC, she will have lifelong connections in this business. Even if she doesnt "make it" she has people who actually care about her. They have been reaching out to her and keeping in touch with her during this whole process. That to me is priceless. Its a life long investment with people who care even if you are not making them money. I have attended all of my daughter's training sessions. I have absolutely no talent but I come out of there fully inspired. My daughter has so much more confidence and she even went back to church. How awesome is that! So AMTC is not only making stars, they are making positive role models for this business. Its not a racket. Its built on God's word. Call me naive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. agreed anonymous! I felt the same way about my daughter

    ReplyDelete
  9. As someone who has walked through the audition, program and conference,some of these comments make me so sad! :( AMTC was one of the most incredible, life changing experiences I have ever been through. They are not an agency and do not claim to be. They are a “talent development ministry.”

    Instead of hearing an advertisement and jumping to conclusions, talk to people who have walked through the program, attend an info session or visit the website and read for yourself. If you'll notice, all negative comments are made by people that are oblivious to the actual ministry. The organization and people who run it are some of the most God-honoring people I have ever encountered. Christ truly does shine through this ministry, and I am so thankful for my experiences with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amtc is a sad scam and embarrassment to Christianity. Please go and search the company. Search people successful after the program and speak to them. Don't pay money for common info that can be googled. If you want to be an actor or model and have no experience, go an find yourself an internship or apprenticeship learn the business. Amtc is using the lords name for profit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always been told when their scouting new talent they pay you not you them........God called us to be wise. Their slot of people out their dressed in sheep clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clearly a scam. Just look all over the Internet at the stories. How the organizers can claim to be Christians and sleep at night is beyond me. Shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find it funny that the people giving positive praise are all anonymous. I have seen on other sites where people that work for the company are the ones supplying these positive reviews. Wonder if that is going on here.

    Ironically posting as Anonymous

    ReplyDelete